Sunday 25 September 2016

Essential Endurance


LONDON TO BRIGHTON OFF ROAD

Just when we think the end is near, turning a corner reveals yet another steep hill to climb. Such are the trials of life.

And in a similar vein, a tough endurance test, like the London-to-Brighton off-road bike ride which I experienced this weekend, is a useful reminder of how unexpected turns can throw more challenges in our path.

This ride cemented home to me some key lessons already learned about having the right mindset. When I took on this test, I knew the challenge was achievable. I'd ridden these distances before on a good few occasions. I knew it was going to take hours to complete. I knew I'd have to keep my legs spinning and that there'd be uncomfortable moments going up hills. I also knew that my physicality was more than capable of doing this task, even though I hadn't been on a bike for months and I had just been through a very sustained and heavy summer party period. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it, or if I'd be suffering after completing it. But I did know that I could make a marked difference to the quality of the ride through applying my knowledge gained from previous endurance experiences...


Riding In The Face of Adversity
Endurance tests are adversity strengtheners. They mimic life. So, the more we do of them, the better we become at adjusting to life's challenges. There's many situations in life where we are exposed to high levels of stress. Stress can be harmful when we can't cope with it, but it is essential for growth and stress management gets better through practice. This is where tough physical challenges can help strengthen the body and mind for dealing with stress. Over time, we still have the same stresses but we are much better equipped for tackling them.

Being prepared for an endurance test, can make the challenge seem much less of a struggle - and as my physical training has shown me on this ride, my strength and fitness were more than up for the task. As a consequence, I actually enjoyed the ride. But, others at this event, were clearly finding this physical test a lot more difficult - even from the very outset. I witnessed a lot of riders off their bikes, pushing on even the smallest of hills - barely a third of the way in to the 75 mile ride. I also saw quite a few exasperated riders, sitting/laying on the floor rubbing cramped/sore muscles and complaining about the distance to go barely half way in to the ride.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” 
– Benjamin Fanklin


So preparation is the key. I've learned this the hard way. Taking on a challenge with no prior experience of what lays ahead and with no knowledge gleaned about what to prepare for, will conversely, make a tough challenge all the more difficult and probably not enjoyable at all. This is what I discovered on my 2012 Raid Alpine challenge. Not only had I not prepared myself physically, but I'd never experienced a long distance ride over 60 miles before. I'd certainly never ridden up alpine roads for 20+ kilometres at a time nor challenged myself to do this feat for 6+ hours a day and over 740km for 6 days in a row. I also had Shingles at the time, which added another layer of challenge to this ride.

No Pain No Gain
What I painfully learned previously, helped me to better prepare for this event. I knew I could have completed this ride with zero training but as I wanted to enjoy myself, it meant putting in some cardio/strength training hours well in advance, having quality sleep, plus maintaining a consistent, nutritious diet. I also learned the importance of planning ahead to ensure I ate/hydrated and performed well on the day. Details of the planning included taking care of what clothes to wear for optimal comfort in all weathers, what spares/equipment and first aid to carry in a lightweight bag. Most of all, I prepared myself for the distance and importance of being aware about posture/technique and keeping on top of all this through mindfulness on the entire ride. I focussed on the moment and never pondered the distance yet to come. All of this knowledge came to me by putting myself through such a supremely tough physical/mental test in the past. My resolve has been strengthened and I've maintained this strength through repeating regular tough endurance challenges and by experiencing daily discomfort at home or in the gym.

Endurance tests have played a key role in my self-development, are - and will continue to be an essential part of my life. They have already helped me to overcome many life hurdles, greatly strengthened my resolve, developed a better, more positive mindset and helped me to grow as a person along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment