Sunday 10 April 2016

Grand National


ODDS ON FOR A FALL

Chances of winning in a Grand National race are slim at best. 30 horses jumping over 20 fences to take the finish line first, means picking a winner in advance is a bit of a lottery.

So it came as a surprise when my horse came in first this year. This triumph meant my winnings paid for all the weekend's fun. This is not something I do well in - betting on horses. I'm not lucky in that respect and certainly no expert on the gee-gees. Gambling is exciting but dangerous if we become hooked on chance. 

After watching Mississippi Grind today and The Big Short last night, I can see how the chances of success are weighted more in our favour if we learn to study form, body language or market triggers and statistics. Life is very much like a game of chance. We take safe bets generally to keep the risk levels down for making mistakes. But we live a more glorious existence when the turn of a card, roll of a dice or flip of a coin can pay out dividends. That's why so many get hooked on the thrill of making it big through gambling. 

Although this win was a happy moment, it didn't really make that much difference to my overall fortunes. I know my luck cannot be relied upon but I can certainly learn techniques for giving better chances of success in everyday life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment