Sunday 17 January 2016

Déjà Vue



STRENGTH FORMED FROM EXPERIENCE

While the events of last year relating to my work situation and consequential battles, have in some way scarred me, they have also given me strength, tactical knowledge for debate and honed my writing skills. 

Watching a gripping documentary on Netflix this weekend, entitled, Making a Murderer, I have been reminded of my pending two court cases in early 2016. 

Having watched this true life documentary, I've witnessed how the legal system is flawed in many ways - just as our brains are unreliable at recording facts and susceptible to being primed through clever use of words/imagery, to present a certain viewpoint. 

Just as it was gripping to watch the court proceedings, it was also astounding to observe the different characters of the police/governing bodies and the defendants/family members as the two sides of the story are played out for us to see. 

Getting Organised
Another focus point this week, is on the reading of 20 pages per day. I'm finally getting around to taking in learnings from Organized Mind. From just reading the first few pages, I've now gained a better understanding of the brain's system for categorising information into memory and how easily our memories can be altered through suggestive language. If only the jury had read this book in the Steven Avery trial. 

Staying Tough
Although last year was tough in many respects, the results in the end, were mostly positive. I've found a lawyer I can ask for advice and I have better writing skills, knowledge, patience and ability to treat these two pending court cases as challenges. The learnings taken from better understanding how to deal with these matters can in turn enrich me rather than just allowing the emotional attachments to affect me. If the main character in this documentary, Mr Avery - someone of a humble standing and with a low IQ, can survive 18 years in jail for a crime he did not commit, only to face battle once again shortly after his release, fighting a corrupt government and police force on a planted murder charge that could potentially ruin his life and destroy his family. I can certainly do my best to fight these two cases, utilise my intellect, research and writing ability, to find a favourable solution to this otherwise potentially stressful situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment