Sunday 20 March 2016

Defying Age


THE PEAK OF MORTALITY

After a week of pushing myself to the limit in the mountains, it's been interesting for me to see where a trip of this ilk has closer metaphorical connotations to mortality in one's life. 

I've been making my winter pilgrimages to the mountains for many years now. Throughout my 20's it was my playground during the winter months. My 30's established the Swiss Alps as a retreat where I could take my solace from the reality of work and responsibility. Now, in my early 40's, I see the mountains not only as a challenge for my young muscles and bones any more, but more of a beacon of truth that my efforts will fade and power diminish as I succumb to old age. While the body grows weaker - the mountains will always stay strong. Yet still I go on my yearly pilgrimage to face them.

We all seek to defy old age and cheat death but sadly, it comes to us all eventually. We try and deny it, but the mountains are a constant reminder to us of our short time here on the planet. It doesn't seem so long ago that I felt quite invincible. Yet, 15+ years have passed since I first flung myself down a mountain with such vigour and disregard for the consequences of serious injury or death. Riding a snowboard at speed down a steep slope on snow and ice, a bone breaking fall could come from anywhere. Even with this knowledge, I still push my limits. But I fear the day will come soon when the mountain catches me off guard me or I surrender to the inevitable fate of frailty and hang up my snowboard boots before my hand is forced.

The other 7 guys on this trip are going through the same process as me - all holding fast to the youthfulness and continuing to give their all each winter, to keep their place on the mountains for as long as they can. This is why we push ourselves to make this yearly trip, propping each other up as we boldly push our limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment